Outfit: 20s-ish

by - 18:32

20s 1920s flapper style via lovebirds vintage

Fringed top - gift from my mum | Skirt - Matalan
Cardigan - don't remember! | Bag - borrowed from mum | Shoes - Deichmann

This was the outfit I wore to work today. I went for a sort of 20s vibe to go with my new shoes; I love them so much! 

Due to having a lot of expenses coming up soon (e.g. course fees for my Masters course and a car to travel to my new university!), I don't have any money at the moment for new clothes except for things that I really need. I'm finding it a challenge, but fun, to come up with new ways to wear the same clothes in different outfits, and also new ways to wear old clothes that I had stopped wearing. This skirt, for example, is years old and was almost consigned to a charity shop - I'm so glad I rediscovered it. It also works pretty well as a petticoat under some of my swing dresses, so I'm hoping to get a lot more wear out of it this summer.

art deco style bag

crochet lace top blouse

Also hallelujah, praise the Lord, I finally worked out how to make my photos a decent size instead of those silly little ones I've been using. I'm tempted to go through all my other blog posts and edit them now!

Does anyone else have any good tips for wearing certain clothes in different ways or making your clothing budget stretch etc? I would love to know!

You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. I'm totally getting the twenties vibe! "The Great Gatsby" is coming out here soon, and I'm working on getting a look together for it, also 20s!

    I'm in much the same situation budget-wise, and one of my favorite things to do now is buy clothes really cheaply at junky thrift stores. Sometimes I buy them because they're ready to go (rarely), to alter them (especially with dresses and skirts), or to just use the fabric for a completely different project (right now I have a giant, awful, floor-length corduroy skirt that's going to be made into shorts soon!). I can always get these clothing items cheaper than vintage or repro clothing or even just plain cloth. And, it's upcycling and eco-friendly, too!

    Here are a few examples from my blog of things I've made from thrift store finds; hope this helps!
    altered green dress, thrift store belt, and made hat (about $6-7 total)-
    http://flashbacksummer.blogspot.com/2013/04/easter-2013.html

    thrift store shirt ($2)- http://flashbacksummer.blogspot.com/2013/01/rose-red-and-victory-rolls.html

    thrift store shirt and flea market hat ($5 total)-
    http://flashbacksummer.blogspot.com/2012/12/casablanca-week-ingrid-inspired-outfit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look into getting some things from charity shops at some point and try to make/alter some things like you have! (I particularly love the hat from the last outfit!)

      The main trouble I have with charity shops at the moment is that I don't have the time to sort through all the stuff to find anything that might be worth buying. I will probably have more time over the summer after I've finished university for the year, though.

      I'll really have to get going on my sewing as well - I can do basic things but I'm not sure I could turn an old skirt into a pair of shorts, for example.

      Thanks very much!

      Delete
  2. Dear gal, that handbag is such a resplendent work of art. The beading, the blooms, the elegant black background, it's all stunning and works so joyfully well with your beautiful ensemble here.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came back from seeing the Great Gatsby, so my flapper mode has definitely been activated. You look so beautiful. I love how you took the idea of a 20s dress and put it in separates. Following you now!

    May the force be with you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely outfit ... good that you're able to wear things like that to your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky! They are really lenient about what I wear as long as I look smart.

      Delete