Kedleston Hall and The Duchess

by - 19:31

Recently my parents proposed a visit to Kedleston Hall, a National Trust-owned property a short drive away from where I live. Upon checking the website I was delighted to learn that the house was used as one of the filming locations for The Duchess, starring Keira Knightley.

keira knightley the duchess



kedleston hall georgian house via lovebirds vintage

Kedleston Hall 

I always enjoy visiting stately homes and castles, and luckily I live in an area where there are plenty to visit. Most, like Kedleston Hall, I have visited before, but I always think they're worth visiting again. Kedleston also isn't the only one in the area to have been used as a filming location. Chatsworth House, another property not too far away from home for me, was used as one of the filming locations for Pride and Prejudice, also starring Keira Knightley. It's great to be able to visit all these places which feature in films in my DVD collection.

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical via lovebirds vintage

Kedleston Hall as is an 18th Century mansion which belonged to the Curzon family. The Curzons have owned the land and a succession of properties in and around the estate since the 1200s. Inside the current house, built in 1759, the decor is beautifully restored Neo-Classical. Much of the money for the restoration work came from the filming of The Duchess. 


kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical via lovebirds vintage

The Duchess herself, Lady Georgiana Spencer, was the Duchess of Devonshire during the reign of George III (1760-1820).  She was married to William Cavendish, the 5th Duke of Devonshire, and would actually have lived at Chatsworth House, the ancestral seat of the Dukes and Duchesses of Devonshire. 

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical via lovebirds vintage

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical via lovebirds vintage

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical book via lovebirds vintage

From what I've read, the plot of the film does seem to recount the events of Georgiana's life fairly accurately. I don't wish to spoil anyone who hasn't seen the film but she seemed to have a somewhat sad life, albeit one in some beautiful surroundings. It was so interesting to be able to see how she (and the Curzon family) would have lived.

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical ship via lovebirds vintage

kedleston hall georgian interior neo-classical trophy corridor taxidermy via lovebirds vintage


All photos are my own unless otherwise stated and sourced.

References

National Trust (2013) Kedleston Hall, National Trust [Online]. Available at: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kedleston-hall/. Accessed 22nd April 2013.

Steele, P. (2001) Encyclopedia of British History. Miles Kelly Publishing: Essex.

Wikipedia (2013) Duke of Devonshire, Wikipedia [Online]. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Devonshire. Accessed 22nd April 2013.

Wikipedia (2013) Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, Wikipedia [Online]. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgiana_Cavendish,_Duchess_of_Devonshire. Accessed 22nd April 2013.

Wikipedia (2013) Kedleston Hall, Wikipedia [Online]. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kedleston_Hall. Accessed 22nd April 2013.

Wikipedia (2013) William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire, Wikipedia [Online]. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cavendish,_5th_Duke_of_Devonshire. Accessed 22nd April 2013.

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. The grand elegance and timeless beauty of Kedleston Hall is nothing short of breathtaking. I would completely adore a chance to step foot there myself one day, but am completely content to be an armchair traveler for the moment and enjoy your lovely tour of it.

    Happy start of May wishes, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, I'm glad you enjoyed it and happy May to you too :) x

      Delete
  2. I am so envious of people who live near all these gorgeous things. Australia was only colonised 200 odd years ago so we have nothing like this.

    While I actually really love the movie, I found it definitely one of the most depressing films I have seen. She really did live such a sad life :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I have seen it a few times myself and there have been tears every time.

      Delete
  3. I love visiting National Trust properties - you get a real sense of being transported back in time... plus it's great to see them 'in the flesh' after being on the big screen.

    This place looks amazing (never been) but Chatsworth House is stunning... it's great to imagine a dripping wet Colin Firth emerging from the courtyard in just his breeches! *ooher!*

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chatsworth definitely is lovely - I've been several times before but I might try to persuade someone to go with me again so I can get some blog photos! And imagining Colin Firth in breeches is definitely a bonus *fans self*.

      Delete
  4. That looks so amazing! I love places like this - I love the history and the nostalgia!
    www.ahkavintage.com
    Join our $150 dress giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a gorgeous estate. How lucky to have that in your "back yard".

    I want that blue sheen damask wallpaper for my flat.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely? You can buy things in the gift shop with the wallpaper pattern on, but I don't remember whether you can actually buy the wallpaper itself.

      Delete