Leaving Lepidoptera

by - 21:46

This week and next I am working at the Lepidoptera Breeders Association, helping out with breeding butterfly and moth livestock.

The study of insects (entomology) is a huge interest of mine and something I'm working towards as a career, so I have been really enjoying getting the experience and gaining lots of new practical and theoretical knowledge of insects that I haven't had the chance to work with before.

Since I have been working outside a lot, I have only been wearing practical clothes so there are no photos of myself to share - I hope you all enjoy these lovely caterpillars, moths and butterflies instead.

Chinese Oak Silkmoth caterpillars (A. pernyi) via lovebirds vintage

Chinese Oak Silkmoth caterpillars (A. pernyi)

Male Purple Emperor butterfly via lovebirds vintage

Male Purple Emperor butterfly

Swallowtail caterpillar via lovebirds vintage

Swallowtail caterpillar

Garden Tiger caterpillars via lovebirds vintage

Garden Tiger caterpillars

Eyed Hawkmoth via lovebirds vintage

Eyed Hawkmoth

Underside of a Purple Emperor via lovebirds vintage

Underside of a Purple Emperor

Comma Nettle butterfly via lovebirds vintage

Comma butterfly

set butterflies via lovebirds vintage

Examples of set specimens 

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. Oh I love butterflies, so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butterflies! They're so pretty and such great pictures
    follow backk
    www.moorehisstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterflies are so beautiful, but I'm fascinated by caterpillars too, I love the way they move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really interesting to watch. I was really surprised by how beautiful some of them are, and by how big they can grow as well! The Chinese Oaks shown above are massive and still growing.

      Delete
  4. What an absolutely wonderful sounding way to spend two weeks. I've long been fascinated by butterflies, too, and think that I would love to work there for a while as well. Beautiful photos - they'll have me reaching for my favourite butterfly brooch now this week for sure.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete