Oxford: Quick bug check-in

by - 21:39

oxford university museum of natural history calliphora vicina via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history spiny flower praying mantis via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history tarantula via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history dr livingstone via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history cricket via lovebirds vintage

oxford university museum of natural history orthoptera via lovebirds vintage

Just a quick check-in with some insect-related things since I'm well aware that it's not everyone's cup of tea. These photos really don't showcase the wealth of interesting things I saw and worked with whilst I was volunteering at the Natural History Museum. They all seem rather brown and boring compared to the riot of colour that appears amongst the specimens. There were some fantastic historical specimens at the museum such as those collected by Dr Livingstone as shown in the photo. 

I rather fell in love with the praying mantis which appears in the second photo; she is a spiny flower mantis and her name is Valerie. 

See you all soon for more vintage-related things :)  

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. This is absolutely my cup of tea! I love exhibits like this! While I don't love all insects, I would really love to have a pet tarantula, I think they are so adorable :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarantulas are one thing that I'm not so keen on, but I might get there eventually! Some are very pretty.

      Delete
  2. Eeeeeewwww... but fascinating..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm glad they're interesting at least!

      Delete
  3. Helen Mae,
    I'm agreeing on this with the rest of you readers:
    Creepy, but amazing.
    And the hand-writen pinned-down notes are giving it some special feel.
    I'd get goose-bumps, but I'd like to visit it.

    Marija
    (from http://ruzicastapinkidusica.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones with the handwritten labels were really interesting and very old! Goosebumps is about right x

      Delete
  4. The tarantula very nearly caused me to faint (no exaggeration, I'm exceedingly terrified of them and get super anxious - sometimes to the point of hyperventilating/or feeling dizzy with fright - if I even see a photo), but otherwise I enjoyed this fascinating post a good deal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry about that, I didn't mean to cause that reaction!

      Delete