Not The Sea

by - 11:25

As I write this I'm looking out of the window at the rain that's arrived this morning - as you'll see from these pictures, the weather was rather lovely for us yesterday when we (that is, myself, my brother and two of his flatmates) headed to Matlock Bath in Derbyshire for a day out.

Matlock Bath is an old Spa town, where Victorians would go to "take the waters". It's mentioned in a lot of literature of the time as a fashionable place for people to visit. It was visited by Queen Victoria and has a lot of history attached. For Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, a parade of illuminated boats was held on the river and this has continued annually to the present day. Nowadays the boats are lit with electric lights, but the first boat is still lit with candles in keeping with the history of the Illuminations. If you've never seen anything like this before, I'd recommend watching the video of some of the boats from 2011, it's quite amazing.


Most of the shops in the town are touristy souvenir shops, cafés and amusement arcades, and there is also an aquarium and a petrifying well. It's remained a "seaside" town in spirit for us Midlands folk who are hours away from the nearest beach.

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

We got fish and chips for the full "seaside" experience - I don't normally eat this kind of food and I didn't know the sausage would be so big!

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage

I didn't manage to get a full length outfit shot but nothing I was wearing was new anyway. I'm not too sure how well I can pull off a beehive - certainly I'm not too skilled at making them! - but it's such a practical style for when I haven't had chance to wash and curl my hair before I go out.

The dress is this one, the shoes and bag can be seen properly here

matlock bath via lovebirds vintage


On the way back home we stopped off for a while in another small town called Cromford. 

cromford via lovebirds vintage

cromford via lovebirds vintage

cromford via lovebirds vintage

cromford via lovebirds vintage

There are two antiques shops in Cromford - the first one was awesome if a little pricey, the second one was less exciting. I don't go to antique shops very often though, so it's usually nice to look around even if I don't buy anything. 

Sometimes I wish I lived in a bigger city, but there are some interesting and more out of the way places up in the Peaks and surrounding areas, so I guess that's okay. 

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. I did laugh at the size of that sausage!!

    Looks like you had a lovely trip, it's somewhere I'd never really heard of and must add it to the list.

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite fun to visit if you're in the area, at least worth stopping for a quick look if you're passing through :)

      Delete
  2. What an absolutely charming looking area! The deep sea diving window front put the biggest smile on my face - I love it when shops still put some thought into, and have fun with, their window displays like that.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shops in the town are interesting to look at, a lot of them have fun stuff in the windows! I think the window with the diver in is actually the front of the aquarium and petrifying well, and there is another similar display just inside.

      Delete